In an emergency always call 999

Notes with regard to Explosives Certificates

Applications to Acquire/Keep Explosives

The Explosives Regulations 2014 require a person who acquires or keeps relevant explosives to hold an explosives certificate issued by the Police in the area where they live. An Explosives Certificate is NOT required for explosives listed in schedule 2 Part 1 and 2 of Regulation 3(3)(a) of The Explosives Regulations 2014.

An explosives certificate is a certificate certifying that the person to whom it is issued is a fit person to acquire explosives or to acquire and keep explosives.

There are, therefore, two types of Explosive Certificates:

Acquire only

Acquire only allows a person or company to obtain named explosives, which are to be used straight away and not kept overnight.

Acquire and Keep

Acquire and keep allows a person or company to obtain named explosives and keep them in an approved storage place or manner.

Explosive Certificates can be valid for up to 5 years

Applying for an Explosives Certificate

To apply for an explosives certificate you will need to complete the appropriate application form and forward it to your local Firearms Licensing department. The forms can be downloaded off this site.

Fees for Explosives Certificates

There is not normally a charge for the issue or renewal of Explosives Certificates where they are to be used for commercial purposes.

Please contact the Explosives Liaison Officer via your Firearms Licensing office for any fees to be charged.


Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.