In an emergency always call 999

Notes with regard to the storage of explosives under a Registration or Licence

Licencing for the storage Explosives

The Explosives Regulations 2014 deals with the manufacture and storage of explosives at manufacturing plants, factories and stores.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are the Licensing Authority for the storage of all explosives above 2000 Kilos..

Generally the Police are the Licensing Authority for explosives up to 2000 Kilos.

The Police Licensing and Registration of storage can be divided into the following three categories:

Applying for an Explosive License for Storage

To apply for a Licence you need to complete the form ER 2 Application for a Storage Licnce under the Explosives Regulations 2014 and submit it to your local Firearms Licensing Office.

A Licence can be issued for up to 5 years.

Generally, a Licence cannot be issued unless there is an Explosives Certificate in force.

Dependent on the explosives you intend to keep, there may be need for an explosives store and separation distances may apply.

Fees for Licensing for Storage

There is a fee payable for the grant and renewal of a Licence and also for the issue of an Explosives Certificate which is used in connection with a Licence. Please contact the Explosives Liaison Officer via your Firearms Licensing office.

Form ER 2


Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.