We've launched our recruitment campaign for police officers! See if the role of a police officer is for you, find out if you're eligible, what we offer and read a list of FAQs if you intend to apply.
Is the role for you?
Being a police officer isn’t for everyone. It is physically, mentally and emotionally demanding but it is also very rewarding. Because of this you need to ensure that you are right for this role.
This tool below helps you to explore your suitability and for you to make a reasonably informed decision about whether or not to submit an application.
It serves as a guide rather than a definitive statement about your suitability.
Visit the College of Policing Suitability Tool
What does a police officer do?
Police officers work closely with the community and undertake a variety of activities which relate to the prevention and detection of crime and the prosecution of offenders.
The key tasks of a police officer are to:
- Liaise with external agencies/departments and members of the community to develop better working practices and improve the safety of the local community
- Respond to calls for assistance from the public, record and investigate crime and non-crime issues and participate in the long term resolution of community problems
- Undertake mobile and foot patrol, seeking to reassure the public and proactively work towards the prevention and detection of offences
- Attend and investigate traffic collisions, working with other agencies to improve road safety
- Interview suspects, witnesses and victims, establishing facts and compiling case files for prosecution and other further action
- Arrest and detain suspected persons, gathering evidence to enable the fair and just prosecution of offenders.
What are the key competencies?
You need to:
- Be honest and have integrity
- Have loads of determination
- Be flexible
- Be physically fit
- Have strong communication skills
- Be able to apply practical solutions to real life situations
The buttons below link to further information and provide you with all you need to know when it comes to applying for the role of a police officer.
Derbyshire Constabulary has a strong commitment to equality and diversity, both within the organisation and in the service we provide. We aim for a representative 'Policing Family' that reflects the communities we serve.
We promote Positive Action; this is a range of measures that we can legally take to actively encourage a more diverse workforce.
Positive Action does not seek to remove competition and we treat all applicants according to need and in accordance with legislation currently in place.
For more information see the Positive Action pages.