Special Constables are no ordinary people. They have the drive and dedication to work with the Derbyshire Constabulary in their spare time, to help make their neighbourhoods a safer place. We need people with good life skills and experience such as:
- Quick thinking team players
- Coping with the unexpected
- Remaining calm in a crisis
- Communicating clearly
- Are tolerant and work well in a team
- Treat people with respect and can resolve disputes sensitively and appropriately
- Plan and take the initiative
- Are honest, fair and impartial
Am I Eligible?
The following information will help you work out if you are eligible to apply before attending a recruitment event or completing an application form.
Do you meet all of the following criteria?
- Age: You must be aged at least 18 before you can apply. There is no upper age limit but you need to be in good health and be able to meet the standards for fitness and eyesight.
- Nationality: You must be a UK citizen or member of the European Economic Area (EEA). Foreign nationals can also apply as long as you have no restrictions on your stay in the UK.
- Vetting: In order for us to carry out full vetting checks you will need to have lived in the UK for the last three years. We will check your financial status because specials have access to privileged information, which may make them vulnerable to corruption. Your appointment is subject to satisfactory references, security checks and vetting that may include immediate family. .
- Tattoos: You should not have tattoos which could cause offence. Tattoos are not acceptable if they are particularly prominent, garish, offensive or undermine the dignity and authority of your role or the force.
- Character: It is essential that you are of good character. Criminal record checks are carried out on you and your immediate family and close associates.
- Core Values: We expect that all of our employees and volunteers maintain the highest personal qualities. All applicants should demonstrate the core values of Integrity, Respect, Performance, Responsibility and Innovation.
Due to the level of investment we place in the training of each Special, we also expect each candidate to serve for a minimum of 12 months within Derbyshire Constabulary as a Special.