In an emergency always call 999

Road Traffic Collisions

Road traffic collision

If you are involved in a collision which causes damage or injury to any other person, vehicle, animal or property, you must stop and  give your own and the vehicle owner’s name, address and the registration number of the vehicle, to anyone having reasonable grounds to request them. If you do not give your name and address at the time of the collision you must report it to the police as soon as possible and in any case within 24 hours.

If another person is injured and you do not produce your insurance certificate at the time of the collision to a police officer or to anyone having reasonable grounds to request it, you must report it to the police as soon as possible and in any case within 24 hours and produce your insurance certificate for the police within seven days.

You are legally obliged to do this.

You can view a list of our police stations on our website.

If the above does not apply to your situation, you can contact Derbyshire Constabulary by ringing our 101 non-emergency number.

Definition of a road traffic collision

The law defines a reportable road traffic collision as an accident involving a mechanically-propelled vehicle on a road or other public area which causes:

  • Injury or damage to anybody - other than the driver of that vehicle,
  • Injury or damage to an animal - other than one being carried on that vehicle (an animal is classed as a horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog).
  • Damage to a vehicle - other than the vehicle which caused the accident.
  • Damage to property constructed on, affixed to, growing in, or otherwise forming part of the land where the road is.

If they take place in a public place the police can investigate off-road collisions, for example, collisions in car parks, which, because they are open to the public, are deemed public places.

Accident report charges

A fee is charged for copies of accidents reports amongst other sundry services related to the incident. See our Fees and Charges page for a full overview of the costs.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.