Posted on 16th December 2014
Safer Neighbourhood officers are asking Alfreton residents to be on their guard whilst out shopping in the run up to Christmas.
Officers will be carrying out high visibility and plain clothes patrols in the town centre in a bid to deter thieves and catch shoplifters in the act.
The team are urging people to be extra vigilant whilst out shopping and to take steps to protect themselves from bag dippers.
Sergeant Simon Street from the Alfreton Safer Neighbourhood Team said: “Shops in Alfreton are especially busy at this time of year, and thieves will target these places as they are the most crowded with shoppers.
“They will often select a shopper who is busy choosing Christmas cards or trying on clothes and not paying much attention to their own belongings. I saw bags left on the floor during patrols; thieves see an open handbag and an easy steal.
“Alfreton is a very safe place to live and shop and as yet we haven’t had a problem from shoplifting and bag dippers and we would like to keep it this way. Please take care, be vigilant and have a great Christmas.”
Crime prevention advice for staying safe when out shopping includes:
- Keep your bag closed and close to you at all times, if possible with the opening towards your body;
- Close your purse and put it away before you leave the till;
- Avoid carrying your purse or wallet in a back trouser pocket;
- Keep cash secure and out of sight;
- Do not leave your handbag; push chair or shopping trolley unattended;
- Always make sure that no one is looking over your shoulder before entering your PIN at the cash machine, make sure your money is put away before leaving the machine and ensure your purse is out of reach;
- Do not write down your PIN and keep it in your wallet, purse or handbag. If you cannot remember your PIN, you can change it at your bank to a number which is easier to remember.
For further crime prevention advice or to speak to your local Safer Neighbourhood team call 101.
For the latest policing news and crime prevention advice for your area follow the team on Twitter: @AlfretonTownSNT