In an emergency always call 999

Kilburn motorists urged to get their vehicle security into gear

Posted on 3rd February 2015

Motorists are being urged to boost their security after a number of vehicles were broken into in the Kilburn area.

Overnight between Friday, January 30 and Saturday, January 31, thieves targeted two vehicles that were parked along High Street in Kilburn.

Thieves carried out an untidy search of a Citroen Berlingo through an insecure door, however nothing was stolen. (CR/4294/15) Tigmig welding equipment and a Tom-Tom sat-nav were stolen from a silver coloured Hyundai Santa estate. (CR/4378/15)

A number of power tools, including two Dewalt angle grinders, a Makita cordless drill and a Dewalt hammer drill, were stolen after offenders gained access to a Ford Transit van that was parked along Danesby Crescent in Denby. (CR/3618/15)

The incident is believed to have taken place between 4.30pm on Friday, January 23 and 7.30am on Monday, January 26.

PC Neil Hopwell from the Kilburn Safer Neighbourhood Team said: “Thieves are opportunists and will attempt to break-in to those vehicles that they think are an easy target.

“Before leaving your vehicle unattended, double check that the windows are up and that the vehicle is properly secured as the key fob technology may not always work.

“Don’t give thieves an easy getaway. Park in a garage, driveway or well-lit area where possible and if you have a car alarm, make sure that it is enabled.

“Finally, remain vigilant and ensure that any valuables are kept out of view from passers-by or removed from the vehicle completely where possible.”

Safer Neighbourhood officers are urging residents to remain vigilant and to report suspicious activity to police on 101 to help to stop a crime from happening. In an emergency, always dial 999.

Anyone with any information about the incidents is asked to call police on 101, quoting the crime number mentioned above. Alternatively, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.