In an emergency always call 999

Police in Somercotes and Swanwick working to tackle community concerns

Posted on 14th May 2015

Police in Somercotes and Swanwick are working to tackle the issues which matter most to local residents.

Officers from the Somercotes and Riddings Safer Neighbourhood Team are focusing on a number of policing priorities at the moment, including anti-social behaviour (ASB), speeding motorists and parking around schools.

The team have been working hard to tackle ASB in hot spot areas which has since seen a decrease in calls for service in recent weeks. This has involved Safer Neighbourhood officers carrying out increased patrols at key times and locations, chatting to local youngsters and also sending out warning letters in a bid to combat the problem.

The Safer Neighbourhood team has been carrying out regular speed checks across the area after residents raised concerns of motorists speeding on local roads. Drivers who were found to be exceeding the speed limit were spoken to about the importance of safe and considerate driving, with further action being taken where necessary.

Another priority for the team is inconsiderate parking outside schools during peak times. Officers have spent time at different schools during drop off and pick up times to speak to drivers who are found to be causing obstructions. They are also working alongside local schools to encourage safe and responsible parking.

PCSO Richard Plant said: “We want local residents to feel safe and at ease when they are out and about in the area they live. That’s why we take these concerns seriously and we are working closely with partner agencies including housing organisations and the local council to clamp down on the issues.

“I am delighted to have seen a decrease in ASB incidents over the last few months and this highlights the commitment of local officers and other organisations to tackle this sort of behaviour.

“We will continue to work towards these goals and I would urge anyone who would like to discuss issues or concerns in their neighbourhood to contact me via the 101 number.”

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.