In an emergency always call 999

Police warning over nuisance off-road bikers in the Staveley area

Posted on 18th August 2014

Police are warning that they will be taking action against nuisance off-road riders in the Staveley area.

It follows complaints from local residents about bikes being ridden noisily around disused land and an old quarry site, both privately owned, off Farndale Road.

Warning notices and flyers have already been put up and handed out to riders by police to make them aware of the concerns and the law around off-road biking.

Officers will now be making use of mobile CCTV equipment to capture evidence. They will also be issuing Section 59 warnings for nuisance riding, bikes may be seized and further prosecution taken where appropriate.

A Section 59 warning can be given to riders or drivers if they are seen using their vehicle in a careless or inconsiderate manner, or in a way which has been causing, or is likely to cause alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public.

The warning lasts for 12 months and if the vehicle or driver is found using it in the same way during that time then the vehicle can be seized and potentially crushed.

The Staveley Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team and Chesterfield Community Safety Partnership are also looking to meet with the landowners to discuss longer term measures at the sites.

PC Patrick Cooney of the Staveley Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team said: “We are taking this action following concerns from local residents about noise, and have already visited the land to advise riders of the issue.

“The noise and damage caused by illegal off-roading generally tends to create public hostility to motorbikes, quads and 4x4s and we would suggest that those who want to ride responsibly and legally find a commercial motor sports centre or join a reputable club specialising in off-road activities.”

Off-road riding or driving cannot take place on any land, including moorland, forest, country park, waste ground or derelict railway for example, unless the rider or driver has express permission of the landowner.

To ride on a public road or highway, the vehicle and rider or driver must be insured, have tax and a current MOT.

You can contact the Staveley Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team call 101, or email

The team can also be found on Twitter: @StaveleySNT

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.