Posted on 17th October 2013
Residents in Ashbourne are being reminded to keep sheds and garages secure after a number of outbuilding burglaries were reported in the area.
In recent weeks, officers have seen an increase in trailer and motor vehicle thefts following reports of shed and garage burglaries.
The most recent incident happened overnight between Monday, October 7 and Tuesday, October 8, where a trailer was stolen from a private driveway on Old Derby Road, Ashbourne.
Sergeant Denis Murphy from the Ashbourne Safer Neighbourhood Team said: “We are increasing patrols in rural areas and are working hard to identify the offenders.
“We are grateful for all information that we receive and would like to remind local people in the community to be extra vigilant and report any suspicious behaviour and vehicles in their neighbourhoods”.
Officers from Ashbourne Safer Neighbourhood Team are reminding residents of the extra steps they can take to better protect their property. These include:
- Install security lighting around sheds and garages
- Fit high-quality padlocks on all shed and garage doors
- Fit a shed alarm
- If your outbuilding has windows, consider reinforcing them with wood to deter thieves
- If you store bikes or high-value lawn mowers in your outbuilding, install a fixed post inside that you can chain them to
- Keep tools in a locked box
- Mark valuable property with your postcode using a UV pen or SmartWater.
To contact your local team about crime prevention advice, or any other issue, call 101 or visit the website at www.derbyshire.police.uk.