We are working on a new website with a range of services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

In an emergency always call 999

Ashbourne pub owners and off licences join forces with local police to tackle alcohol-related crime

Posted on 13th November 2015

Pub owners and off-licences in Ashbourne are joining forces with local police to clamp down on alcohol-related violence and anti-social behaviour (ASB).

The Ashbourne Pub Watch initiative was re-launched on Thursday, November 12 and will see local pub and off-licence staff working alongside officers to ensure a safe, secure and responsibly led social drinking environment in the town.

Members of the scheme will work to prevent underage drinking in Ashbourne by asking to see valid identification from anyone thought to be under the legal age for alcohol consumption. They will be looking to ensure that ID carries the PASS hologram, which shows a person’s date of birth and photograph.  

Pub and off-licence staff will also have the discretion to ban anyone found to be causing a nuisance from their premises including those who are violent, cause ASB, are found with drugs or appear to be overly intoxicated.

The re-launch of the scheme follows other successful Pub Watch initiatives across the High Peak and Derbyshire Dales including in Bakewell, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Wirksworth and Glossop.

PC Sandra Barlow from the area’s Licensing Team said: “This campaign is aimed at reducing alcohol-related crime and disorder and by working with members of the scheme in the Ashbourne community, we hope that everyone who is out in the town has a safe and enjoyable time.

“I would encourage all local off-licence and pub employees and members of the public to also work together to be vigilant to alcohol-related crime and to report any incidents of concern to a member of staff or to police by calling 101 or 999 if a crime is taking place.”

To find out more about Pub Watch schemes across the Buxton Division, email: Bdiv.licensing@derbyshire.pnn.police.uk.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.