In an emergency always call 999

Would you like to launch a Neighbourhood Watch group in the Derbyshire Dales?

Posted on 2nd February 2017

Safer Neighbourhood officers across the Derbyshire Dales are looking for local residents who would like to set up a Neighbourhood Watch scheme in their town or village.

Neighbourhood Watch aims to bring together the community and encourage people to take steps to prevent crime in their neighbourhood.

The scheme sees the police, local authorities and, above all, individuals and families working together to help make neighbourhoods better places to live.

Households involved in Neighbourhood Watch will help to share crime prevention advice with their neighbourhoods to boost security, and can also display window stickers and street signs as a deterrent to thieves.

PC Rachel Baggaley said: “Setting up a scheme in your area can help to both reduce and prevent crime, while helping people in the community feel safer in their homes. As well as helping the police to target crime and keep neighbourhoods safe, a Neighbourhood Watch scheme can help foster a community spirit.

“There are no costs involved in setting up a Watch and you will be given full support throughout the process from the main office in Chesterfield. Please get in touch if it’s something you would be interested in setting up in your neighbourhood.”

Project and Development Officer Joye Dobbs added: “We currently have 809 Neighbourhood Watch groups across the North Division who are all doing a wonderful job. We can never have too many Watch groups in our community and I will always welcome new members who want to become involved with the scheme.

“I will provide full support from the first query to the launch of a new Neighbourhood Watch group and thereafter. Please get in touch if you would like to become involved.”

If you would like to set up a Neighbourhood Watch or would like more information on how to get involved, contact PC Rachel Baggaley on 101 or Joye Dobbs on 0300 122 8526.

You can also send Joye an email at

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.