In an emergency always call 999

Witness appeal after shed and house are broken into in Bakewell street

Posted on 21st October 2013

Police in Bakewell are appealing for witnesses after burglars broke into a shed and a house in the same street.

The offenders broke into a shed at a property in Castle Mount Crescent and took tools that were stored in it.

They then broke into a neighbouring house, which is under renovation, and searched it but no valuables were kept inside.

The break-ins, which happened between Thursday, October 17 and Friday, October 18, have led to increased police patrols in the area and a reminder for residents to secure their outbuildings and remove valuables where they can.

Bakewell Safer Neighbourhood Team are also offering cut-price home security gear as part of Operation Illuminate, a campaign to help Derbyshire Dales residents protect themselves from criminals during the darker nights.

PCSO Hayley Grundy, from the team, said: “Burglars will break into sheds, garages or houses that they think are worth it and an easy target.

“There are steps you can take to protect your property, such as investing in a security light, shed or house alarm, which can deter thieves.

“It’s also worth property marking any valuables or removing them and storing them in your house when you can.

“These steps only take a few minutes but they can save you from a lot of distress and hassle by protecting you from criminals.”

Operation Illuminate is an annual campaign led by the police and Derbyshire Dales District Council as part of the area’s Community Safety Partnership.

It offers a range of security items at reduced cost to Dales residents. These include timer switches, door chimes, alarms, light bulbs and property marking kits such as SmartWater, with prices starting from £1.

To find out more, contact your local Safer Neighbourhood Team on 101.

If you have any information relating to the break-ins, call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.