In an emergency always call 999

Safer Neighbourhood officer soars onto Twitter to keep locals in loop

Posted on 15th February 2013
Anthony Boswell

People living in Hathersage, Bradwell and the surrounding area will be able to keep fully up to speed on what is going on in their neighbourhood by following one of their officers on Twitter.

PCSO Anthony Boswell has started tweeting from the beat and will be posting short messages about what he and the Safer Neighbourhood team are up to.

Tweets that he will be sending out will include witness appeals, crime prevention advice, dates of meetings, police initiatives and warnings about topics such as road closures or serious incidents.

Anthony is the 19th Safer Neighbourhood officer to join the social networking site with the aim of keeping people in his area in the know about local policing issues.

He said: “Twitter is hugely popular now and it’s where a lot of people go to find out what is happening in their area or to talk about issues that affect them.

“I wanted to get involved with that and keep people in the loop about police work.

“Our job is to keep the neighbourhood safe and Twitter will let us show people what we are doing to achieve that in a new way.”

To follow Anthony on Twitter, visit the social networking site, search for @HathersageSNT and click ‘follow’.

You will then be able to view all updates Anthony sends out and to interact with him if you have any questions about the team’s work.

Hathersage Safer Neighbourhood Team is latest to sign up to Twitter and follows in the footsteps of PC Dave Naylor, who launched the Matlock SNT profile last week.

Derbyshire police launched its own Twitter site in 2009 and uses it to share news, appeals and information with more than 15,000 followers.

The force also recently launched a Derby County profile to keep football fans updated with any policing issues and information surrounding Rams matches.

The Hathersage team and all other SNT Twitter profiles will appeal for information on crimes through Twitter but you should always report crimes by calling 101 or 999 in an emergency.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.