Posted on 17th August 2015
Police are appealing for information after a large quantity of power tools were stolen from a van in Grindleford.
Sometime between midnight on Wednesday, August 12 and 7am the following morning, offenders broke into a red Ford Transit van by forcing open the sliding passenger door.
Thieves made off with a large quantity of Hilti tools including three cordless drills and attachments, a saw and toolbox.
The van, which was parked on Main Road in Grindleford, was red in colour and was branded with the company name ‘Hilti’.
On the same night, offenders also attempted to gain entry to the garage of a property also on Main Road. No entry was gained and nothing was stolen.
Officers investigating the theft are appealing for anyone with any information to contact them. They are also asking tradespeople to take extra steps to boost their vehicle security. Crime prevention advice includes:
- Before leaving your vehicle unattended, double check that the windows are up and the vehicle is properly locked and secure;
- Remove all valuables from your vehicle whenever possible and wipe away any suction marks left behind by sat-nav or phone holders. This includes tools, laptops and sat-navs;
- Thieves know where to look so avoid leaving valuables in your boot, glove box or under the front seat;
- Mark tools and valuable items with a security marking fluid such as Smartwater. This can help to deter thieves and also allow police to return items to you if they are stolen and then recovered;
- Don’t give thieves an easy getaway. Park in a garage, driveway or well-lit area where possible and if you have a car alarm, make sure that it is enabled.
Anyone with any information about the incident, or knows the whereabouts of the tools, is asked to contact PCSO Anthony Boswell on 101 quoting crime number 34503/15.
Alternatively contact independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.