Posted on 30th April 2015
Land Rover owners have been teaming up with local officers to put the brakes on vehicle thefts in the community.
PCSO Anthony Boswell from the Hathersage Safer Neighbourhood Team has been taking to the road in recent weeks to encourage motorists to further protect their vehicles from thieves.
The team have been hosting Land Rover security events in Grindleford and Bradwell which saw motorists visiting to have their vehicle protected for free with Smart Water.
SmartWater is a forensic based security marking fluid that can be used on property from bikes, electrical items and jewellery to help deter criminals. Marking items with security kits such as SmartWater can improve the chances of police returning any items if they are stolen and recovered.
On Saturday, April 18, Safer Neighbourhood officers visited the Pavilion Car Park in Grindleford, and on Saturday, April 25, the team hosted a marking event Bradwell Fire Station.
PCSO Anthony Boswell from the Hathersage Safer Neighbourhood Team said: "During our events we have been inviting 4x4 owners along to have their vehicles security marked for free to help to further protect them from being targeted by thieves.
"Across the two events we have marked up more than 20 vehicles, with some motorists driving over from areas such as Glossop, Ashbourne and Sheffield.
"We spoke to motorists on the day about steps they can take to protect their vehicles, such as ensuring that no bags, coats or valuables on left on display as even an empty bag could catch the eye of a passing thief."
Top tips for protecting your Land Rover from thieves include:
- Park in well-lit, overlooked areas where possible and use a steering lock, alarm, wheel clamp or tracking device for added security;
- Consider using a ground anchor with a heavy duty chain and padlock to protect your vehicle;
- Ensure that any valuables are removed from the vehicle, including removing sat-nav cradles and wiping away any 'sucker marks' to help deter a passing thief;
- Thieves will target component parts such as bonnets, doors and headlights so ensure that both body panels and removable parts are properly marked with a fluid such as Smart Water. This can help to deter thieves and also improve the chances of police returning parts if they are stolen and later recovered;
- Consider custom fitting a hidden battery isolation or fuel cut off switch to your vehicle.
To speak to the Hathersage Safer Neighbourhood Team call 101, and follow them on Twitter: @HathersageSNT