In an emergency always call 999

Derbyshire Rural Crime Unit takes to Twitter

Posted on 28th February 2017

Our officers from the Derbyshire Rural Crime Unit have taken to Twitter to help protect the rural and farming communities from crime.

Based in Matlock, PCs James Bowler and Andy Shaw will be taking to the social media site to offer rural crime security advice ahead of the official Derbyshire Rural Crime Unit launch next month.

The Derbyshire RCU has been set up to tackle rural crime in Derbyshire, particularly across the Derbyshire Dales. Alongside raising awareness of how people in the farming and rural communities can protect themselves from thieves, they will also be investigating offences. The team will be supported by wildlife officers across the force, special constables, and police support volunteers.

PC James Bowler said: “The unit has been set up in order to look after the rural community and is geared towards investigating offences committed against working farms. This includes theft of quad bikes, livestock, agricultural equipment and breaks to farming outbuildings. Alongside this we will also be tackling other rural and wildlife crime such as poaching, badger baiting, and illegal off-roading.

“Andy and I will be tweeting about crime prevention, witness appeals, and results, along with things to be aware of and details of local meetings and events. We are also hoping to regularly attend the ABC at Bakewell on Mondays following the launch.”

To follow PC Bowler and PC Andy Shaw on Twitter, visit the social networking site and search for: @DerbyshireRCU

Finally, click ‘follow’ on the account page and you will then be able to view all updates that the team sends out, along with asking them questions about their work.

You can also send the team an email to their dedicated rural crime inbox:

Safer Neighbourhood policing teams will appeal for information on crimes over Twitter but you should always report crimes by calling 101 or 999 in an emergency.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.