We are working on a new website with a range of services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

In an emergency always call 999

Well-travelled Sergeant heads to Ashbourne to take over Safer Neighbourhood teams

Posted on 20th September 2013


A police sergeant who has chalked up experience in London, South Yorkshire and across Derbyshire has taken over the running of Ashbourne’s four Safer Neighbourhood teams.

Sergeant Denis Murphy signed up as a cadet with the Metropolitan police force in 1986 before taking a year out in Australia and then joining South Yorkshire Constabulary in 1994.

In 2007, he moved over to Derbyshire and was part of both the reactive and Safer Neighbourhood teams in Chesterfield.

Denis was based at Matlock and worked on the planning of police operations across the Derbyshire Dales before heading over to Ashbourne earlier this month.

And he said his 24 years of policing experience in a wide range of roles would give him a head start in his new post at Ashbourne.

He said: “Ashbourne is a vibrant town with a great heritage and the surrounding area is fantastic, with an awful lot going for it.

“We have a lot of tourism but there is also a tremendous, thriving community spirit here and that is what I’m looking forward to linking in with.

“My aim is to continue the great work Jamie and the teams have done and to start teaming up with community groups and faith groups across the area.

“I also want the Safer Neighbourhood teams to have as visible a presence as possible so that we can work together with the community to keep Ashbourne safe from crime and disorder.”

Denis is now in charge of four teams – Ashbourne town centre, Hulland and Brailsford, Marston and Clifton and Tissington and Carsington.

He takes over the reins from Acting Safer Neighbourhood Sergeant Jamie Millard, who led the teams following the retirement of Sergeant Steve Edwards in June.

To speak to your local Safer Neighbourhood team, call 101.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.