In an emergency always call 999

Police head out to drive down car crime in Buxton

Posted on 8th January 2014

The Safer Neighbourhood policing team have been out on the beat in a bid to put the brakes on car crime in Buxton.

Overnight between Saturday, January 4 and Sunday, January 5, a sat-nav was stolen from a Ford Focus parked in the Palace Hotel car park.

Between 5.30pm on Saturday, January 4 and 1pm on Sunday, January 5, offenders used a sharp instrument to scratch down one side of a Lexus parked by the Old Hall Hotel.

Incidents have also occurred on Holker Road and Park Road, Buxton.

Sergeant Jon Lloyd from Buxton and Fairfield Safer Neighbourhood Team said: “Following the recent incidents we will be increasing patrols in the area to catch offenders in the act and offering crime prevention advice to residents and visitors.

“Simple steps such as parking in well-lit, over looked areas and making sure that nothing is left on view can help to deter a criminal from targeting your vehicle.

“We would like to encourage people to report any suspicious activity to us straight away so we can bring the criminals responsible to justice and stop a crime before it happens.”

The team headed out on patrol delivering leaflets in the area advertising drivers of the simple steps they can take to protect themselves and their vehicles from criminals.

Other crime prevention advice includes:

  • Make sure you lock all windows and doors when leaving your vehicle unattended - even if it's only for a short amount of time;
  •  Keep any valuables out of sight, either in the boot or not in the car at all;
  •  If you have a sat nav, wipe the windscreen after you have removed it so there is no mark where the holder was placed.

To report any suspicious behaviour in your area call 101, the non-emergency number, except in an emergency when the number is always 999.

Witnesses or anyone with information should call Derbyshire police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.