We are working on a new website with a range of services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

In an emergency always call 999

Hate crime awareness event held in Buxton

Posted on 25th October 2018

Officers from the Buxton Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team were in The Springs Shopping Centre last week to help raise awareness of hate crime issues, and how to report it.

They set up a stand on both Thursday, October 18 and Friday, October 19 alongside Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service as part of National Hate Crime Awareness Week.

PCSO Linda Cook of the Buxton Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team said: “We held the stands in The Springs Shopping Centre as part of a national campaign to encourage people not to suffer in silence when it comes to hate crime.

“There was a good reaction from the public, and we spent time raising awareness of the five characteristics of hate crime, and what to do if they notice or are a victim of hate crime. Events like these help us to engage with our communities and will hopefully help us to reinforce the message that reports of hate crime are taken seriously and will not be tolerated.”

How to report a hate crime

You can tell us about a hate incident in several ways. You do not have to be the victim to report it. Our officers will do all they can to help you deal with what's happened to you. They can arrange to meet you at a place of your choice where you feel comfortable and safe. They work with you and provide help, including making a statement explaining what has happened.


In an emergency always dial 999.

Non emergencies

  • Call our central number 101.
  • Visit your local police enquiry office.
  • Via any of the force social media accounts – simply search for Derbyshire Constabulary.
  • You can also contact report a hate crime via the Crimestoppers scheme on 0800 555 111 or by visiting www.crimestoppers-uk.org/.
For more information on the work of the Buxton Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team, follow them on Twitter @BuxtonTownSNT.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.