In an emergency always call 999

Police to clamp down on car crime in Fairfield streets

Posted on 15th July 2013

Fairfield Safer Neighbourhood Team is increasing patrols to put the brakes on criminal damage and theft from cars.

In recent weeks, drivers have reported incidents of criminal damage to cars and theft from vehicles, mainly in the Kings Road and Windsor Road areas.

As a result, the team will be boosting patrols in the area, giving crime prevention advice to motorists living or parking nearby and urging them to report suspicious activity straight away.

Officers will also be delivering leaflets door-to-door advising drivers of the simple steps they can take to protect themselves and their vehicles from criminals.

This includes making sure unattended cars are secure with locked windows and doors, parking in well-lit, overlooked areas and storing any valuables out of sight, such as in the boot.

PC Steve Blore, from Fairfield Safer Neighbourhood Team, said: “We’ve seen a rise in the number of incidents reported to us and it is an issue that we’ll be clamping down on.

“Damage to cars and theft from them is a massive headache for their owners so we will be on patrol to catch offenders in the act and offer some advice, too.

“Simple things like making sure valuables are out of sight, cleaning sat nav holder marks from your windscreen or even just parking in a sensible spot can be the different in putting a criminal off targeting your car.

“Most of them won’t bother if it isn’t an easy target and we’ll be giving people simple but practical tips on how they can make their vehicle less appealing to criminals.

“We also want people to report any suspicious activity to us straight away so we can bring the criminals responsible to justice.”

To report suspicious activity or a crime, call 101 or 999 in an emergency. You can also call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

If you would like to get hold of one of the crime prevention leaflets being handed out as part of the crackdown, call PC Blore on 101.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.