In an emergency always call 999

Burglaries become the new neighbourhood priority for New Mills and Hayfield police

Posted on 26th April 2013

Police will be cracking down on burglaries at homes in the New Mills and Hayfield areas after a recent rise in break-ins.

The area’s Safer Neighbourhood team revealed that burglaries would be their next priority profile at their most recent governance meeting.

Officers will be raising awareness of the issue by speaking to local residents about security at their homes and telling them what they can do to boost it.

This includes investing in house alarms, timer switches for indoor lights, security lights and property marking kits such as SmartWater.

New Mills and Hayfield Safer Neighbourhood Team will also be increasing patrols across the area and urge residents to report suspicious behaviour immediately.

PC James Taylor, from the team, said: “People have mentioned this as a concern to us because of the slight increase in burglaries and it’s something we want to address straight away.

“Being burgled causes a great deal of distress so our aim is to tell people what they can do to protect their property from criminals.

“There are lots of easy steps they can take to boost security at their homes and we will also be out on the streets, on the lookout for anyone acting suspiciously.

“As always, we need people to report odd behaviour to us as soon as they see it – calling 101 and telling us about something could stop someone you know becoming a victim of crime.”

The issue was set as a neighbourhood policing priority at the team’s governance meeting, held on Tuesday, April 23.

It was agreed as a priority by police and members of the public and replaces the previous priority, which was anti-social behaviour in parks and open spaces.

The new priority will be reviewed at the next governance meeting, due to take place in three months’ time.

To report suspicious activity or a crime, call police on 101 or 999 in an emergency. You can also call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.