In an emergency always call 999

Police and health experts team up to give pupils a taste of drinking dangers

Posted on 4th July 2013

Schoolchildren were told about the dangers of alcohol and the consequences of underage drinking as part of a campaign to cut down on the problem in New Mills.

Officers from New Mills Safer Neighbourhood Team joined by a community nurse for the discussion on how alcohol affects the body and the long-lasting damage it can do.

Teenagers at New Mills School, in Church Lane, were also told how drinking in public places can harm the community and about the law surrounding buying alcohol or getting others to buy drink for them.

The visit, which was delivered by the team and community nurse Nicki Sutton, from New Mills Health Centre, took place on Friday, June 28.

It was part of a High Peak Community Safety Partnership campaign to cut the problem of underage drinking in New Mills.

PCSO Lee Baker, from the team, said: “The dangers of underage drinking are well known but we wanted to make sure young people themselves knew exactly what harm and consequences it can have.

“We told them all about the health effects, the dangers of being drunk, the impact it has on other people and the trouble they can get in.

“The response we had from the school kids was great and they took a lot from the visit. Many of them said it was useful and full of information they didn’t already know, so hopefully the message is getting there.”

Police have been called to incidents in recent weeks where underage people have been found intoxicated and have either been taken home or, in extreme cases, to hospital.

As part of the campaign, officers and partners from High Peak Borough Council are clamping down on issues such as adults buying alcohol for under-18s, which is illegal and could end up in a prosecution.

For more information and to report any activity related to underage drinking, call New Mills Safer Neighbourhood Team on 101. You can also call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.