We are working on a new website with a range of services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

In an emergency always call 999

Police issue advice to protect residents from falling victim to PPI scams

Posted on 5th September 2014

Officers from the New Mills and Hayfield Safer Neighbourhood Team are urging residents to protect themselves from fraudsters following a suspicious incident in the area.

Police were called to the Co-operative Store on Ensor Way; New Mills on Tuesday, September 2, after a staff member became concerned that a shopper may have been contacted by fraudsters.

Officers were told how the man had received a call from a person purporting to be from a legitimate Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) claim company. The fraudster stated how the man was due a substantial pay-out, however, in order to receive the reward, he must first supply a number of store gift cards.  

PC James Taylor from the New Mills and Hayfield Safer Neighbourhood Team said: “Thankfully, we were able to intervene before any further contact was made between the man and the fraudster, and I would once again like to thank the staff at the Co-Op.

“Fraudsters are finding new ways to target their victims and they often come across as genuine and convincing. I would like to urge people to protect their personal and financial information and to be wary of impromptu phone calls or visits from people who they are not familiar with.

“Always remember, if a deal seems too good to be true, then it probably is. If you are unsure then do not disclose any information and always ask friends or family for advice or contact Action Fraud for more information.”

For more advice around fraud, visit the dedicated Stamp out Fraud webpage at www.derbyshire.police.uk/stampoutfraud

If you think that you have been a victim of fraud, call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.

Report any suspicious incidents to the police immediately by phoning 101 or 999 if the crime is in action.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.