In an emergency always call 999

Parents are being encouraged to team up with police to tackle underage drinking in New Mills

Posted on 26th March 2014

Police are urging parents to take action to help clamp down on underage drinking in New Mills and Hayfield.

Officers from the local policing team have been stepping up patrols following reports from residents of an increase in damage and nuisance behaviour in the community.

During patrols around High Lea Park in New Mills, officers came across groups of youths gathering in the park and drinking alcohol on Friday, March 21.

The alcohol was removed from the youths who were drinking underage and a number of children were taken home for being intoxicated.

The Safer Neighbourhood team have been engaging with youths about the dangers of underage drinking and the effects of anti-social behaviour on people living in the area.

PCSO Lee Baker from the New Mills and Hayfield Safer Neighbourhood Team said: “We have been patrolling problem hot spots and have encountered many young people out and about; worryingly several of them had been under the influence of alcohol and had to be taken home by an officer.

“The amount of alcohol being consumed is a concern and we will be working hard to tackle this issue but we need parents to assist us in preventing anti-social behaviour and most importantly, stop any young person being harmed under the influence of alcohol.

“It is really important that parents know where there child is at night and when they will be returning home. I would also advise all parents to check where they store alcohol and that none is taken by their child.”

Police are also warning people of the consequences of breaking the law by buying alcohol on behalf of underage children. Offenders can be issued with fixed penalty notices and face further prosecution.

To speak to your local Safer Neighbourhood team call 101, the non-emergency number for Derbyshire police.


Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.