In an emergency always call 999

New Mills and Hayfield police ask for parents' support in tackling ASB

Posted on 9th June 2015

As the summer months approach, officers from the New Mills and Hayfield Safer Neighbourhood Team are asking for the support of parents to help deter anti-social behaviour and underage drinking in the community.

The policing team are also joining forces with the New Mills Multi-Agency Team to help put measures into place to prevent groups of youths from causing a disturbance for other residents.

The team will be heading out to speak to youngsters about the dangers of underage drinking and the effects that anti-social behaviour (ASB) can have on people living nearby, especially those living close to High Lea Park.

PCSO Lee Baker from the New Mills and Hayfield Safer Neighbourhood Team said: "As a team we understand that the majority of young people are responsible and respect others, however there may be a small number of people who cause a disturbance in the town.

"With the warmer months approaching, we want to get our message across to help prevent any issues of ASB or underage drinking by working closely with partner agencies. However, we also need parents and guardians to assist us in preventing anti-social behaviour and most importantly, stopping any young person being harmed under the influence of alcohol.

"It is really important that parents know where there child is at night and when they will be returning home as camping out in remote areas of the town appears to be an upcoming trend. I would advise all parents to check where they store alcohol and to ensure that none is taken by their child."

Police are also warning people of the consequences of breaking the law by buying alcohol for underage children. Offenders can be issued with fixed penalty notices and face further prosecution.

To speak to your local Safer Neighbourhood team call 101, the non-emergency number for Derbyshire police.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.