In an emergency always call 999

New Mills residents urged to be vigilant following recent break-ins

Posted on 29th May 2015

Residents living in the New Mills area are being asked to be vigilant and report suspicious activity following recent burglaries.

In the early hours of the morning on Wednesday, May 27, thieves forced open a ground floor window to gain entry to a property on Hayfield Road in Birch Vale. Once inside, offenders stole a set of house keys and attempted to open the door of the property, however were disturbed by the homeowners.

The would-be thieves then fled the address, leaving the keys behind. The incident is believed to have taken place sometime between 1am and 2.25am. (CR/22163/15)

Sometime between Saturday, May 23 and Tuesday, May 26, offenders forced open a fire door at the Watford Bridge Industrial Estate in New Mills. No items were stolen. (CR/22111/15)

Following the incidents, officers from the New Mills and Hayfield Safer Neighbourhood Team are encouraging residents to consider their own home security to help to further protect their property against criminals.

Sergeant Phil Booth from the local policing team said: "We are asking local residents for their support by reporting suspicious activity to us so that we can stop a crime from happening. However minor you think it may seem it could make the difference in stopping your neighbourhood from becoming a victim of crime.

"Before leaving your property unattended or going to bed, make sure that windows and doors are properly secured and that any home or vehicle keys are out of view.

"Ensure that valuable items are kept out of view from passers-by, and items such as bikes and laptops are marked with a security marking fluid such as SmartWater.

"If you would like to chat to us about boosting home security or property marking your valuables, then get in touch."

Anyone with any information about either incident is asked to call 101, quoting the crime number mentioned above, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

For further crime prevention advice, or to speak to your Safer Neighbourhood team, call 101.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.