In an emergency always call 999

Weekend dispersal order in place for New Mills and Hayfield

Posted on 11th May 2018

A dispersal order has been put in place to help officers target concerns about anti-social behaviour in New Mills and Hayfield this weekend.

The order will start from 4pm tomorrow (Friday, May 11) until 4pm on Sunday, May 13 and gives police officers and PCSOs the power to move anyone who they believe could cause anti-social behaviour or crime in the area for a certain period of time, up to 48 hours.

It has been put in place as our officers target recent concerns from the community about large groups of young people gathering, causing damage and has also been timed to coincide with the Hayfield May Queen procession, crowning ceremony and fun fair on Saturday, May 12.

The area covered by the order will include most of New Mills and Hayfield, including all public spaces and the surrounding streets.

Children aged 16 or under can also be removed to their home address or a place of safety, and anyone who refuses to comply with an order to leave an area will be committing an offence and could be arrested.

Our officers will also be carrying out extra patrols in the New Mills and Hayfield area over the weekend to help deter anti-social behaviour.

Inspector Phil Booth, who is in charge of policing in the High Peak, said: “The dispersal order gives officers additional powers to deal with anti-social behaviour proactively, allowing them to move on any individuals we believe may be likely to cause trouble rather than waiting for it to happen.

“It isn’t about making the event a no-go area for all young people, just those who are not behaving sensibly, causing damage and distress for other local residents. We simply cannot tolerate anti-social and nuisance behaviour.

Insp. Booth added: “We hope residents and visitors enjoy a safe May Queen event, without it being spoilt by a minority intent on behaving in an unacceptable manner.

Anyone who is experiencing anti-social behaviour should call Derbyshire police on 101, except in an emergency, when you should dial 999.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.