In an emergency always call 999

Police work to tackle speeding vehicles in Furness Vale

Posted on 29th September 2014


Officers from the Whaley Bridge Safer Neighbourhood Team have been heading out on the beat to put the brakes on speeding vehicles in the area.

The team carried out a Community Speed Watch event along Buxton Road in Furness Vale following reports from local residents of motorists exceeding the speed limit.

Sergeant Toby Maddock and PCSO Tracy Jones teamed up to highlight the importance of safe and considerate driving during the checks on Thursday, September 26

Over a one hour period, police noted 22 vehicles that were driving over 35mph through the 30mph route. This included a number of vehicles who were seen to be driving up to 40mph.

PCSO Tracy Jones from the Whaley Bridge Safer Neighbourhood Tea said: “Speed Watch events like this are a way of us to ensure safe and considerate driving in the area to help keep our roads safe for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians.

“Speed limits are there for a reason and it was worrying to see the number of drivers speeding through the 30mph route.

“We will be continuing to run Community Speed Watch events over the coming months and I would like to encourage local residents to join us to help target those motorists breaking the limit.”

Officers from the Whaley Bridge Safer Neighbourhood Team are looking for volunteers to help run Community Speed Watch events in the area to target those exceeding the limit.

The scheme has equipment which displays the speed of passing motorists, alerting them as to whether they are abiding by the speed limit or not.

The volunteers take down details of vehicles that are excessively speeding and the information is fed back to the local neighbourhood policing team so that warning letters are issued to anyone caught speeding in the area.

Anyone interested in joining the Whaley Bridge Community Speed Watch Scheme is asked to contact the policing team on 101, the non-emergency number for Derbyshire police.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.