In an emergency always call 999

Police urge residents to be alert to rogue traders following suspected incident in Dronfield

Posted on 17th September 2014

Police are urging residents to be vigilant after a suspected rogue trader incident in Dronfield.

It is after two men called at the home of an elderly couple and offered to tarmac their driveway, on Trent Grove, on two occasions last week.

The first man visited the couple and offered to do the work for a price but they said no, but a second man returned on Sunday, September 7 with a reduced price which they agreed to and paid cash.

After the work was carried out one of the men claimed they had also cleaned out the guttering at the property and wanted a further payment, which the man again reduced from the initial price after the couple seemed reluctant.

Community Safety Inspector Russell Dakin said: “In this incident a woman felt she had no other option but to pay this man for some work which she wasn’t certain they had carried out and the traders did not offer the couple a written quotation or a receipt for the money they paid.

“In rogue trader type incidents we often see older and more vulnerable people targeted and large amounts of cash paid. Please avoid trading with people who turn up unannounced and report any suspicious activity around your neighbourhood.”

To help stay safe, residents are advised not to open the door to anyone they are not expecting, and to use the door chain or bar every time they go to the door.

Before agreeing to any work, people should always get more than one opinion and three quotations from reputable traders before making a decision.

Anyone with information should contact Derbyshire police on 101, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Derbyshire Trading Standards Service can help residents find honest and reliable traders through the Trusted Trader scheme.

All the businesses who sign up to Derbyshire Trusted Trader have been checked by the trading standards team. To find a Trusted Trader in your area call 01629 533190 or visit

Residents can also contact you can call Citizen’s Advice Consumer Advice Service on 08454 04 05 06 for any issues relating to buying goods and your rights as a consumer.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.