In an emergency always call 999

More than 60 cans and bottles of alcohol seized from teens in Eckington

Posted on 30th June 2014

Eckington-alcohol-seized--Jun-14More than 60 cans and bottles have been seized from underage drinkers in Eckington.

The booze, which included more than 50 cans and bottles of beer and cider and seven bottles of wine and spirits, was collected during police neighbourhood patrols between Friday, June 20 and Sunday, June 22.

It is as the team target their priority around anti-social and nuisance behaviour around Eckington Leisure Centre, Eckington Town Centre and on School Street.

The youngsters were sent home and alcohol warning letters will be delivered to parents.

They make parents aware of their youngsters behaviour, advise about the risks and warn that the police can prosecute any under 18s found with alcohol on three or more occasions in a twelve month period.

 PCSO Dale Merchant of the Eckington Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team said: “We seized a large quantity of alcohol and took action to move the youngsters on as part of our patrols to target residents’ concerns about anti-social and nuisance behaviour, and also for the youngsters’ own safety.”

Police are also asking parents to make sure they know what their children are doing when they are out and reminding all adults that it is an offence to buy or supply alcohol to under 18s.

The penalty for anyone caught buying alcohol for an under 18 is an on the spot fixed penalty notice of £90, which could rise to £1000 if the case goes through to court.

PCSO Merchant added: “If you are a parent, or are responsible for a young person, please make sure you know where they will be while they are out with friends, and what they plan to do. It’s also important that they are aware of the all risks and possible consequences of drinking alcohol underage.”

To contact the Eckington Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team call 101 or email

You can also follow the team on Twitter: @EckingtonSNT

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.