In an emergency always call 999

New police powers set to target crime and anti-social behaviour in Killamarsh

Posted on 1st December 2014

Officers have been using newly introduced powers to tackle issues of crime and anti-social behaviour (ASB) in parts of Killamarsh.

The newly introduced dispersal powers allow officers to move people on even if they only suspect them of being involved in criminal or anti-social behaviour.

In recent weeks, members of the public have reported instances of suspected drug dealing, litter and nuisance activity in the area.

As a result, police have been carrying out extra patrols in the area to identify those responsible and take further action where necessary.

The dispersal power ran from 12.00 on Friday, November 21 to 11.59 on Sunday, November 23. During this time, six men were searched by officers on suspicion of drug use and three of those men were issued with dispersal notices.

Inspector Glen Hoggard, who oversees neighbourhood policing in Clay Cross and North East Derbyshire said: “I am delighted with the results and after the searches were made on Friday night we had no further issues over the weekend.

“I will continue to listen to the needs of the community and we will make further use of the new powers should the need arise.”

Previously, dispersal orders were targeted at alcohol-related crime, disorder or anti-social behaviour. Now, the new Section 34 Dispersal Power can be used to stop any antisocial behaviour or crime – not just that linked to alcohol.

Children aged 16 or under can be removed to their home address or a place of safety, and anyone moved on under the powers can be prohibited from going back there for a certain period of time.

Anyone who refuses to comply with an order to leave will be committing and offence and could be arrested.

Police also want members of the public to report suspicious or nuisance activity to them on 101, or anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.