In an emergency always call 999

Volunteers wanted to help improve road safety in the Unstone and Dronfield areas

Posted on 4th November 2016

Officers from the Unstone and Dronfield Safer Neighbourhood policing teams are looking for volunteers to help them raise awareness of speeding and road safety concerns.

They are appealing for local residents to take part in a local Community Speed Watch scheme.

The initiative involves volunteers who give up a few hours a month out in the community, checking the speeds of traffic.

During the checks equipment is used to display the speed of passing vehicle, to show the motorists whether they were travelling within the speed limit or not. Volunteers note down the details of any vehicles breaking the speed limit.

The information is then fed back to the local Safer Neighbourhood policing team, and warning letters are issued to the owners of the vehicles caught speeding in the area.

The scheme works in conjunction with regular police checks in the neighbourhood for speeding vehicles and has been very successful throughout Derbyshire as whole.

PC Sally Horner of the local Safer Neighbourhood policing team said: "Community Speed Watch was set up in response to community concerns about road safety and we would like to hear from anyone who would be willing to giving up a couple of hours of their time to check the traffic and help raise awareness of the local speed limits.

“It is a great opportunity for residents who are concerned about these issues to help the police do something positive for the community."

Full support and training is on offer for residents to either set up their own Community Watch Scheme in their neighbourhood, or to volunteer as part of an established group.

For further information or if you are interested in taking part please contact your local Safer Neighbourhood policing team by calling 101, or emailing

You can also follow the team on Twitter: @DronfieldSNT

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.