In an emergency always call 999

Chaddesden police give advice to mobility scooter rider seen driving on busy city road

Posted on 20th April 2017
Chad scooter man PC Atterbury with the Chaddesden man

Our officers have been to give advice to an 83 year-old Chaddesden man after he was filmed driving his mobility scooter on a busy Derby road. 

Last month, local media reported that a man had been seen driving his mobility scooter around the inner ring road near to the Pentagon island and the film of the incident was published. 

As a result of intelligence from the community, PC Mark Atterbury from the Chaddesden Safer Neighbourhood Team has been to visit the 83 year-old local man. 

PC Atterbury said: “The man had a stroke a couple of years ago and uses the scooter to remain active and to get out and about. Unfortunately he had been given some incorrect information about where and when he could use it that caused him to be on a road that was very unsafe for a vehicle of that type. 

“Thankfully with the information we received I have been able to pay him a visit and give him the correct advice that means he will now be able to use his scooter in a safer fashion. 

“He wanted me to apologise to any of the other road users who had been concerned about his actions but is now pleased to have had the correct information.” 

This is the advice that we would give to any mobility scooter users:

  • You don’t need a licence to drive a mobility scooter
  • Mobility scooters come in two categories – Class 2 and Class 3 invalid carriages
  • Class 2 – Have a maximum speed of 4 mph and can’t be used on a road unless there is no pavement.
  • Class 3 – Have a maximum speed of 8 mph, need to be registered, you need to be over 14 to drive one and has a set of required features including indicators, horn and rear view mirror
  • Only a Class 3 can be driven on the road and we really wouldn’t recommend their use on very busy roads. Even these mustn’t be used in bus lanes, ‘cycle only’ lanes or motorways. Again we would not recommend the use on dual carriageways but if a Class 3 is driven on a dual carriageway you must use an amber flashing light.
  • And of course if you do use a  mobility scooter on a road you must follow the Highway Code. 

For more advice you can call your local safer neighbourhood team on 101, or send them a message online by visiting the Contact Us section of our website here.

You can also visit the government website:



Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.