In an emergency always call 999

Chaddesden police appeal for information after dog attack in local park

Posted on 3rd April 2018

The officer investigating an attack on a dog in Chaddesden Park last week, is appealing for information from the public. 

The incident happened at around 6.20pm, last Monday, March 26 when a woman was taking her dog, Ernie, for a walk, along with her daughter’s dog, on Chaddesden Park, Derby. 

As she was close to the cafe on the park she became aware of two Lurcher type dogs running towards her from over a mound near to the BMX track. 

One of these dogs then allegedly attacked Ernie, picking him up in his mouth with the other dog also becoming involved. Eventually the man and woman walking with the Lurcher dogs came across and pulled the dog from Ernie. 

The incident is being investigated by PC Mark Atterbury from the Chaddesen Safer Neighbourhood Team, who said: “The incident was very worrying for the woman walking Ernie and her daughter’s dog in the park. 

“As can be seen from the photos Ernie has received quite nasty injuries as a result of the attack and as such we are very keen to speak to the man and woman who were with the Lurchers. 

“Ernie is now recovering at home with his owner after vet treatment but I would ask that if anyone saw the attack or recognises the description given, that they make contact with me.” 

The people with the Lurcher dogs were described as, a white ‘stocky’ man in his 30s with a ‘chubby’ face and short brown hair. He was said to be wearing a t-shirt and jeans. The woman was also said to be in her 30s and had a flower tattoo on the side of her hand. 

If you have any information about this incident please contact Mark on 101, quoting reference number 18000140298. 

Alternatively send him a message online by visiting the Contact Us section of our website HERE. 

You can also anonymously contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, on 0800 555 111 or by visiting 

For more information on the attack visit the team's Facebook page at:

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.