Posted on 23rd February 2015
Police are appealing for information following an attempted theft from a vehicle in Derby.
At around 5.20pm on Friday, February 13, a man was seen to force the glove box in an insecure vehicle parked outside a property on Willn Street in Derby.
The victim who had left his vehicle for only a few minutes disturbed the suspect who then fled the scene.
No property was taken but damage has been caused to the interior of the vehicle.
The victim describes the suspect as a male of medium build, wearing a hoody worn up over his head and navy blue jogging bottoms.
Officers are appealing for any witnesses to get in touch.
Police would also like to remind motorists to take extra steps to further prevent themselves from becoming a victim of car crime using the following advice:
- Lock your vehicle at all times, even if you are only leaving it for a few minutes;
- Remove any valuables from the vehicle, if they have to be in the vehicle, keep them out of sight;
- If you have a sat nav, wipe the windscreen after you have removed it so there is no mark where the holder was placed;
- Park your car in a well-lit area or garage where possible;
- Make sure the windows are secure.
If you spot anyone acting suspiciously around parked and unattended vehicles, call police straight away on 101. In an emergency, always call 999.
Witnesses or anyone with information on the above crime should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111 quoting crime reference 6396/15.