In an emergency always call 999

Derby man found guilty of assaulting Police worker on joint parking patrols

Posted on 16th May 2017
Joint parking patrols

A 28 year-old Derby man has been found guilty of assaulting a Police Community Support Officer (PCSO) whilst she was on joint parking patrols. 

The incident happened earlier this year on Wednesday, February 15 in Lower Dale Road, Derby as officers from our Safer Neighbourhood teams in Peartree and Normanton started patrols with Derby City Council civil enforcement officers to enforce parking restrictions in the area. 

On Thursday, May 11, Soheel Aslam of Belgrave Street, Derby appeared at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court where he was found guilty of assaulting PCSO Amy Ratcliffe as she intervened in a dispute he was having with one of the enforcement officers. 

Aslam also pleaded guilty to damaging the police car he was being taken to the police station in after he was arrested for the assault. He was fined a total of £200 and ordered to pay £100 compensation, £30 victim surcharge and £500 in costs. 

Sergeant Keith Chambers, who is in charge of the Safer Neighbourhood teams for the area, said: “Although parking in contravention of restrictions on the street is an issue that is policed by the Derby City Council enforcement officers, we have been only too happy to support them with this because they have told us they are experiencing abuse and threats of violence whilst on patrol. 

“This incident happened on one of the very first joint patrols and shows that we will not tolerate this sort of behaviour towards either our staff or those from the council. I hope that this court result sends out a strong message that the parking and obstruction issues in the area will continue to be policed and staff will not be intimidated. 

“The joint patrols will continue whilst ever the problem exists, although we are now getting feedback from the community that the issue has greatly improved so the message seems to be getting through.”

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.