In an emergency always call 999

Police issue reminder to moped riders about sticking to the rules of the road

Posted on 8th April 2014

Police are on the lookout for moped riders who break the law by driving in dangerous or inconsiderate ways.

In recent weeks, officers from Kirk Hallam and Hallam Fields Safer Neighbourhood Team have been made aware of riders ignoring the rules of the road.

This includes carrying pillion passengers, performing wheelies, and riding on pavements, around car parks, on footpaths and bridleways.

Police have the power to seize mopeds if the rider is considered to be using it dangerously and has had a previous warning.

They can also take action against anyone deemed to be riding a moped in a dangerous or inconsiderate manner.

PC Louise Stevenson, from the Safer Neighbourhood team, said officers would be keeping an eye out for moped riders to make sure they abide by the law.

She said: “We’ve seen an increase in the number of young people riding mopeds in the area and the majority of them are law abiding and considerate of others.

“However we have had reports of some riding mopeds carelessly or dangerously and we will be taking action against anyone caught doing so.

“The rules of the road are there for a reason and it is absolutely crucial that people obey them, to make sure themselves and other road users or pedestrians are not in danger.”

The law surrounding mopeds includes:

  •  Riders must be 16 years of age or older and hold a provisional license inclusive of category A;
  •  They must hold a valid Compulsory Basic Training certificate before they can ride on the road;
  •  The moped must be registered to DVLA, have a valid tax disc and current MOT certificate;
  •  The provisional license allows them to ride a vehicle up to 125cc but they cannot carry a pillion passenger;
  •  The rider must always wear a helmet and display learner plates on the front and rear of the vehicle.

For more information on the law surrounding mopeds or to find out about police powers in relation to them, call the Safer Neighbourhood team on 101.

You can also call 101 to report nuisance or dangerous riding.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.