Posted on 23rd May 2017
Officers from the Hilton, Hatton and Etwall Safer Neighbourhood Team have been working with Derbyshire County Council’s trading standards team to warn residents of the dangers of using the services of companies who cold call at their homes.
The action comes after reports of an alleged rogue trader operating in the Hatton area.
Earlier this month it was reported that a resident paid out £1,000 in advance for work on his bathroom that was never carried out and on another occasion money was paid to have guttering cleared that was removed and not put back in place.
Steve Allen, Trading Standards Manager at Derbyshire County Council, said: “Our trading standards team often deal with complaints from people, many of them elderly and vulnerable, after businesses cold call on their doorstep.
“Typically, following an initial visit, arrangements will be made for a salesperson to call again and they can tend to be very pushy trying to sell expensive goods or services.
“Our advice is to refuse to deal with businesses that operate in this way. Reputable companies do not tout for business by calling at your home uninvited and will not visit unless you ask them to. They'll also explain your consumer rights which rogue traders will not do.”
PC Joe Stafford from the Safer Neighbourhood policing team said: “We are investigating both these incidents and are working with Safer South Derbyshire and trading standards to warn residents of the dangers of using cold callers.”
Police and trading standards have issued the following advice:
- Do not be tempted to deal with businesses who call unannounced at your door.
- If you are not sure who is at the door, do not open it.
- Keep doors and windows locked and use the door chain every time you answer the door.
- If goods or services cost you more than £42 you have cancellation rights to end the contract within 14 days. If you're not given a written notice explaining your cancellation rights the trader commits a criminal offence.
- Derbyshire Trading Standards Service can help you find honest and reliable traders with the Trusted Trader scheme. All the businesses who sign up have been checked out by the trading standards team so you know you'll be in safe hands. Call 08456058058 or visit www.derbyshire.gov.uk/community/trusted_trader to get a list of reliable traders near to you.
If you wish to report a general consumer or rogue trading problem then please contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 04 05 06, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
For further advice contact your local Safer Neighbourhood team on 101. Alternatively send them a message online by visiting the Contact Us section of our website here.
Attached above is a leaflet with further advice.