New scheme launched that enables people to check the police record of their partners

Posted on 3rd March 2014

A scheme which enables people to check the police record of their partners is being launched in Derbyshire.

Clare’s Law is to be launched across the county today (Monday, March 3). This forms part of a national focus on domestic abuse from 4-8 March. The scheme is named after Clare Wood, who was murdered by her ex-boyfriend George Appleton in Salford in 2009.

Clare was unaware of Appleton’s history of violence against women.

The scheme works in two ways:

A right to ask: This is where information is disclosed following a request from a member of the public. 

A right to know: This is where police make a decision to disclose details when they receive information to suggest a person could be at risk.

Detective Superintendent Andy Stokes, Head of Public Protection said: “This is a national scheme that we hope will provide people with the information they need to make informed decisions about their relationships and to take relevant action.

“When dealing with domestic violence it is crucial that police and other agencies are made aware and can provide early intervention to help the victims.

“To make a request for information under the disclosure scheme, contact police on 101. You can also visit your local police station or speak to a police officer. “

Alan Charles, Police and Crime Commissioner for Derbyshire, said that the widespread introduction of Clare’s Law will provide an additional and valuable layer of protection for those who may unknowingly be at risk.

“When it comes to Domestic Violence, ignorance is definitely not bliss, it’s downright dangerous,” said the Commissioner. “People now have a right to ask if someone close to them could be a risk to their safety, whether or not they choose to take up that right is their decision. 

“This law will help people to make an informed decision, based on known facts, about their relationship which will in turn save people from harm.”

Further information and useful phone numbers can be found on the Derbyshire Constabulary website|

If you wish to report an incident to the police and it’s not an emergency situation ring 101. Always ring 999 in an emergency.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.