Nominations are open for Derbyshire's best police officers and PSCOs

Posted on 3rd March 2015

The search for Derbyshire's police officer of the year has started again.

The Chief Constable, Mick Creedon, is asking anyone who has had dealings with the police during the past 12 months to nominate their favourite officer.

Mr Creedon is also looking for nominations for the best Safer Neighbourhood team in the county and the best Police Community Support Officer.

The county's most popular bobby has been chosen annually since 1986 when the then Chief Constable, Alan Smith, provided a large silver cup to be awarded each year to the winner.

The contest for the Chief Constable's Cup is open to anyone serving in the force, including officers working on community beats, with young people, traffic, general patrol, CID or in any other department.  Any police officer is eligible for nomination

The award for the Neighbourhood Team was introduced by former Chief Constable David Coleman in 2003 to highlight the fantastic work done by officers working with their partners in the community.

In 2007 Mr Coleman also implemented the award for the best PCSO.

Mr Creedon said: "I am sure we will have a lot of nominations for all three awards. We have had a wonderful response from the public in the past and praise for officers has come from all age groups and all areas of the community. I am delighted that so many of Derbyshire's police officers and police staff are held in such high esteem by the people they serve."

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges, including the Police and Crime Commissioner and representatives from the Superintendents' Association, Police Federation and Unison, chaired by the Chief Constable, Mr Creedon. The winner for each category will be announced at the summer awards ceremony.

This year nominations for the awards can be submitted here or sent by post to the Chief Constable at Police Headquarters, Butterley Hall, Ripley, DE5 3RS by Tuesday, 7 April 2015.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.