In an emergency always call 999

Killamarsh house closed because of anti-social behaviour

Posted on 16th March 2015

A group of people in a Killamarsh house created so much distress and anti-social behaviour (ASB) for local residents that North East Derbyshire District Council has obtained a court order to board up a private dwelling house for three months.

A number of people were regularly visiting the occupier of the privately owned house and repeatedly subjected other local residents and neighbours to anti-social behaviour causing extensive community anxiety and damage to the fabric of the property.

The level of problems created both from within the house and by gathering in the garden, meant that the normal enforcement procedures were deemed inadequate by the council.

The council took the lead and worked in partnership with Derbyshire Constabulary, Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service and North East Derbyshire Community Safety Partnership to use the powers contained in the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014. The closure order was obtained from the court and will remain in place until midnight on Thursday 4 June 2015.

North East Derbyshire District Council’s Cabinet Member for Community Safety and Chair of North East Derbyshire Community Safety Partnership, Councillor Lillian Robinson said: “This was a huge problem which was causing distress to local residents – distress that no-one should have to put up with. We knew we had to act to stamp out the problem so we had no hesitation in using the new closure powers.

“It’s never nice for anyone to have to put up with anti-social behaviour day and night and local residents of this area have had to put up with more than their fair share. But, they can now sleep easy at night and enjoy their homes, knowing that the problem has been addressed. This should also serve as a warning to others that we will not tolerate this type of behaviour and we will use whatever powers and action are appropriate and available to us.”

The council is now considering further legal action with a view to obtaining possession of the property during the three-month closure period.


Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.