Dispersal order comes into force for streets in Chaddesden

Posted on 26th March 2015


Police will be using a 48-hour dispersal order to tackle anti-social behaviour and crime in a number of Chaddesden streets.

Using powers introduced in October last year, officers in Derby have set up the dispersal order for the area around Roosevelt Avenue.

It means officers can move on anyone aged 10 and above who is causing a nuisance or committing crime.

The revised powers also mean officers can disperse people who they believe are likely to commit crime or disorder, instead of having to wait until they do so.

The dispersal order comes into force at 6pm on Friday, March 27 and lasts until 6pm on Sunday, March 29.

It covers Roosevelt Avenue, Carson Road, Winslow Green, Evanston Gardens, part of Washington Avenue, Trenton Green Drive, and Trenton Green roundabout.

Inspector Paul Cannon, who is in charge of policing in Chaddesden, said: “Having a dispersal order in place means officers can be more effective in dealing with anti-social behaviour in an area where problems have been reported.

“If officers think that a problem could arise then they can take action to stop it before it happens. It will be at the discretion of the officers on patrol, so these powers don’t mean we will move everyone on – just those who are or could be causing problems.”

Dispersal orders were previously used to tackle alcohol-related crime, disorder or anti-social behaviour.

Now, under section 34 of the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, the powers have been extended to include any activity, not just alcohol-related.

Children aged 16 or under can be removed to their home address or a place of safety, and anyone moved on under the powers can be prohibited from going back there for a certain period of time.

Anyone who refuses to comply with an order to leave an area will be committing an offence and could be arrested.

For more information, visit www.derbyshire.police.uk

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.