Posted on 20th September 2016
Derbyshire Constabulary is supporting the launch of a new campaign designed to tackle financial fraud.
‘Take Five’ aims to put consumers and businesses back in control with straight-forward advice to help prevent financial fraud and encourage people to take a moment. It is designed to remind people that it pays to “stop and think”.
Take Five is the first national campaign to be backed by all the major banks and other financial service providers across the UK.
Detective Inspector Rob King from the Economic and Cybercrime Unit said: “Financial fraud can affect anyone so we are urging residents across the county to take five simple steps to help take back control. That’s why the Take Five campaign is so important and we’re proud to support it.
“If you get any calls, texts or emails out of the blue asking for your personal or financial details always stop and think, never disclose your personal information and listen to your instincts.”
Katy Worobec, Director of Financial Fraud Action UK who created the campaign, said: “The industry is already taking action on fraud, last year our members stopped £7 in every £10 of fraud taking place. However, we know that criminals are getting increasingly sophisticated in their tactics and that’s why we are launching Take Five. We want everyone to take a moment to pause and think to help stop fraud.”
The campaign is asking everyone to help protect themselves from financial fraud by remembering some simple advice:
- Never disclose security details, such as your PIN or full password - it’s never okay to reveal these details.
- Don’t assume an email request or caller is genuine - people aren’t always who they say they are.
- Don’t be rushed – a genuine bank or organisation won’t mind waiting to give you time to stop and think.
- Listen to your instincts – if something feels wrong then it is usually right to pause and question it.
- Stay in control – have the confidence to refuse unusual requests for information.
For more information, visit the Take Five website here