In an emergency always call 999

Witness appeal after collision between car and pedestrian in Chesterfield

Posted on 14th February 2017

Can you help our officers out with their inquiries into a collision involving a car and a pedestrian?

It happened in Chesterfield Road, in Brimington, on the one way stretch of road towards Church Street.

A 44-year-old man was standing at the side of the road waiting to cross, when a burgundy Skoda Fabia approached.

The driver of the Fabia flashed her headlights and motioned for the pedestrian to cross.

As he did so, the car moved forward slightly so the pedestrian stopped, but then carried on crossing when the driver gestured again for him to do so.

However, the car then clipped the pedestrian and he fell over the bonnet. He got to his feet and the driver seemed to apologise, but she didn’t stop at the scene.

There was a lot of traffic in the area around the time and we’re asking for anyone who saw what happened to come forward.

We also want to speak to the driver of the Fabia, who was described as being an elderly woman, and would urge her to get in contact.

PC Abi Robertson, who is investigating, said: “The collision happened in the early afternoon of December 22 and although we know it’s been a while, we still hope that people might be able to help us.

“The gentleman who was crossing the road has been left with a lot of pain and discomfort in his back and neck, and needs physiotherapy.

“It’s important that we speak to the driver of the car as soon as possible and I would like her to get in touch.

“It’s been a few weeks but I also hope that other motorists or pedestrians might have seen the collision and I would like to hear from them, too.”

Anyone who saw the collision should call PC Robertson on 101, quoting reference 17000045855.

Alternatively, send her a message online by visiting the Contact Us section of our website

You can also call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.