In an emergency always call 999

Man sentenced after pleading guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to livestock

Posted on 23rd July 2018

A 45-year-old man has been handed a ten week suspended prison sentence after admitting to keeping sheep in unacceptable conditions.

Appearing at Chesterfield Magistrates Court on Friday, July 13, David Grant of Smedley Street, Matlock pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to animals.

PC Karl Webster said “When visiting Grant’s smallholding in Bakewell on February 26, police and trading standards officers found conditions to be woefully substandard with far too many animals being kept for the facilities available.

“A flock of over 40 sheep were housed in a small shed with contaminated bedding, which had led to high instances of lameness due to foot-rot.

“Others were very thin and suffering the effects of malnourishment.

“The attending vet took the decision that four of the sheep needed to be put down to end their suffering. Many more were in need of medical treatment.

“Other animals at the location were also found to be living in substandard conditions.”

As well as the ten week sentence which was suspended for 12 months, Grant was handed a lifetime livestock ban, 180 hours of unpaid work and ordered to pay costs totalling £200.

PC Webster added: “The conviction came as a result of an investigation by our Rural Crime Team and Derbyshire County Council’s Trading Standards department which began in February.

“The foundations of the case lay with members of the local community alerting the Hillside Animal Sanctuary about the conditions at the smallholding.

“This was followed by some excellent work by their operatives to obtain evidence of the conditions which was later passed to the police.”

If you have any information about possible rural crime, please get in touch using one of the following non-emergency contact methods.

You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Please note in the event of an emergency you should always call 999.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.