Derbyshire Horsewatch was set up to work in partnership with Derbyshire Police to prevent, reduce and detect equine related crime by connecting all owners and riders so information can be communicated quickly. Derbyshire Horsewatch is part of the national Horsewatch Scheme.
The sucess of any Horsewatch Scheme revolves around the dedication of its members. Their commitment to their horses provides a basis on which to build a range of measures which can help to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of crime. In many cases, dedication alone will not be sufficient.
By joining Horsewatch, you'll be registered with your local Horsewatch scheme. The benefits of joining Horsewatch includes information on local property marking sessions amongst other events, information on other local Horsewatch members and general preventative information. Fill out the membership form and return it to the county co-ordinator (see below).
You can also join the Derbyshire Constabulary Community Messaging Service to receive local information about crime and preventative information in your area.
Securing your horses and equipment
A range of proven security measures have been developed to help support the horse owner and prevent the theft of horses and tack. Our security can be improved through general awareness and your property protected with a few simple precautions.
On the 'Related Documents' section of this page you can download our Horsewatch pack, which is a useful set of documents to record and secure your horses and equipment. This includes:
- Horsewatch Identification Form - this form is a reference for the scheme and the police about your equine, and describes it in case of theft or if it is found straying.
- Incident Checklist - this form helps you to record key details from any incident you witness.
- Contact Sheet - a list of useful contact numbers that can be completed by yourself.
- Security Information - preventative information and advice on securing your property.
- Community Messaging Registration Form - complete this form to receive information from Derbyshire Constabulary by e-mail, text or phone. You can also register online.
- Don't Recycle Your Tack Poster - a printable poster for the prevention of tack-related crime.
Please make sure you carry out the following important steps:
- Complete and return the Community Messaging form by downloading the form, or register online.
- Complete and return the Horsewatch membership forms to your county co-ordinator. You can either complete this using the downloadable form, or complete the form online.
- Security mark all tack and property
- Tell your friends about Horsewatch
For the latest bulletins on Horsewatch, see the 'Related Documents section. These detail the most recent horse-related incidents and our responses to them, to make Horsewatch members aware of any potential issues in the local area.
If you see something that you think is suspicious, contact Derbyshire Constabulary, your local police officer or your Horsewatch co-ordinator (see below).
The county Horsewatch co-ordinator is Leslie Manger, who can be contacted on 01773 831251 or 07842 240494. Please only call these numbers between 7:30am and 10pm.
For more information on the Horsewatch scheme in general, contact:
Inspector 1765 Erika GreenB Divisional Headquarters
Silverlands, Buxton, High Peak
Telephone: 101E-mail: email@example.com