Derbyshire Bright Star is an initiative devised by sergeant 1861 Adams as a joint project between the South Division Safer Neighbourhood Youth Officers (SNYO) and the Crime Prevention Police Support Volunteers (PSV), working in partnership with Derby City Community Safety, partners, The Royal Derby Hospital, including the hospital based KITE team and Youth workers.
Derbyshire Bright Star contributes towards Project Zao and consists of two elements; not only to prevent crime working alongside children and young people but also to work with Derbyshire’s generations.
Our aims are:
- To reach out to children, young people, our generations and our most vulnerable and diverse communities.
- To enhance and increase SNYO and police (PSV) visibility and promote positive relationships with children and young people, our communities and partners.
- Promote crime prevention; giving advice and raise awareness of social responsibilities, community safety amongst children, young people, families and the elderly.
- Promote keeping safe and well, protecting those who are most vulnerable from harm or risk.
- Promote Operation Zao, Christmas safety campaigns & other ongoing initiatives. Promote anti-violence and knife crime messages.
- Promote how to report incidents, crime, and intelligence to the police and promote the use of CrimeStoppers UK and fearless.org
- To build a long term relationship between police & health professionals in both hospital and community settings, including mental health.
- Promote personal safety - protection of staff & patients.
- To ‘listen’ to concerns, act appropriately, sign post to other agencies as necessary and integrate the voices of young people, our generations into policing.
- To work with Derby City Council to share best practice advice around Action Fraud, Cybercrime and Child Sexual Exploitation.
- Promote Derbyshire Constabulary’s current and future force initiatives. This will be achieved by use of local media and the our Twitter accounts.
- Promote insight into Derbyshire Constabulary for instance the dog section.
- Promote Police Support Volunteers and Police Cadets.
Derbyshire Bright Star was launched on Tuesday, December 20, 2016, at The Derby Royal Hospital, within the Children’s Outpatients Department, Puffin Ward and Elderly Wards.
Bright Star hosts their summer event on Tuesday, June 6, 2017, between 10am and 3pm at The Royal Derby Hospital, within the Children’s Outpatients Department and visiting the elderly wards.
There will be the Bright Star team on hand. Crime prevention stalls will be positioned in the main foyer to the Children’s Out Patients Department, PC 1842 Swift and police dog Sandy will be in attendance to undertake demonstrations and Impact Youth Gospel Choir will be singing, amongst others, all with a healthy, keep safe summer theme.
- Please download the leaflets from the right-hand-side of this page.