Has your life been affected by a loan shark?
Have you or anyone you know been approached by someone offering you a loan?
Have you been offered a loan without a credit check?
Are you paying lots of interest on the loan?
Are you unsure how much you owe or how many more payments you have to make?
Have you or your family been threatened as a result of not making repayments, including threats of violence or damage to property?
Help is available from the Public Protection Project Team, a locally based team, employed by the government to tackle loan sharks.
There are several ways the Public Protection Project Team can help you:
- Offer advice and support
- Refer you to legitimate credit agencies including credit unions, which are funded especially to help people like you
- Investigate complaints
- Prosecute people involved in loan sharking
The team need your help to:
- Reduce illegal money lending
- Discourage potential loan sharks
- Increase awareness
- Encourage other victims to come forward
- If you or anyone you know has been affected please call the 24 hour confidential helpline.
A loan shark is an unlicensed money lender. This means you may not have to pay back the loan.
A loan shark, if prosecuted, can be sent to prison.
Call the Public Protection Project Team hotline 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 01332 644 000.
Your call is confidential.
The team can call you back if you need them to.
Other Sources of Help and Support
Community Banks in Derbyshire
Financial Action and Advice Derbyshire
Money Advice Service