If antisocial behaviour (ASB) is affecting your quality of life, or making you fear for your safety or the safety of others, there are people who can help. You can contact the police, your local council Community Safety Department or, if relevant, your housing provider.

These partner agencies have a role to play in reducing anti-social behaviour, supporting the most vulnerable and dealing with the people responsible.

Antisocial behaviour is an incident that falls short of a crime, where the behaviour of an individual or group causes or is likely to cause:

  • harassment, alarm or distress to any person, not of the same household
  • another party feeling personally threatened
  • creates a public nuisance or detrimental impact upon the environment
  • has a detrimental effect upon the quality of life of an individual or the community as a whole


It is important to keep records of when and what behaviour is happening. Don't be afraid to tell one of the partner agencies about it and to ask for support when you need it. To help you and others:

Antisocial behaviour case review ('Community Trigger')

The Case Review empowers repeat victims of antisocial behaviour to ask for a review of the actions partner agencies have taken to resolve their concerns. To be eligible, you need to:

  • have experienced three incidents as an individual in the last six months

Each of the incidents need to have been reported within one month of them taking place and you must apply for Case Review within six months of the latest incident. The victim can be a business, individual or a community group.

How to use the Case Review

Community Triggers are processed by the ASB team within the council. To use the Community Trigger, please visit the website of your local councilExternal Link and search for ‘Community Trigger’.

Appealing the outcome of a Community Trigger case

If you are still not satisfied with the outcome of a Community Trigger in relation to your ASB incidents, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Derbyshire is the agreed route of appeal. You can lodge an appeal through the PCC’s websiteExternal Link.

Please note that if you have concerns about an individual officer’s behaviour in relation to an ASB incident, these should be directed through our dissatisfaction or complaints procedure.

More information about Community Triggers is available on the Safer Derbyshire website.